The Voice of Syrinx

Andrew Gelina

Subscribe to Andrew Gelina: eMailAlertsEmail Alerts
Get Andrew Gelina: homepageHomepage mobileMobile rssRSS facebookFacebook twitterTwitter linkedinLinkedIn


Top Stories by Andrew Gelina

It was the usual story: a short deadline and a tight budget. The client's internal staff said "No way" to build the Web-based application in fewer than six months, with any fewer than three full-time resources. The project needed to be completed in two months. It included custom authentication, collaboration, business rules, and forums. Therefore we chose SharePoint 2007 as the development platform and configured the solution to handle 80% of the functionality. Where SharePoint could not meet the requirements through configuration, we developed custom code to complete the other 20%. Herein we'll detail some best practices and lessons learned from our implementation. Project Background The client, a leading provider of information and technology solutions to the worldwide financial community, wanted to construct a social networking portal. They wanted to establish min... (more)

SPC 2009 Wrap-Up

Java Developer's Journal The last day of the SPC had some tech-laden sessions hosted by Andrew Connell. The first was about migrating from 2007 to 2010, and how you can add the nice 2010 development features (like the ribbon and the developer dashboard) back into your 2007 master pages when you migrate them. The theme seems to be that you invested in branding and customizing 2007, and Microsoft is making it straightforward to move that content to 2010. The idea is to not have to stop doing work in your 2007 instance waiting for 2010 to release. All in all, it looks like going fr... (more)

Microsoft SharePoint 2010

First let me apologize for the lack of blogging for a while.  We have been under the gun with a sizable SharePoint development project.  I have gown farther down into the innards of InfoPath then I ever thought possible.  To give you an idea, we worked over 140 hours in the 2 weeks prior to the conference.  I promise to be better, and now I have good reason to do so: We at Syrinx just got back from a long week loaded with sessions, booths, experts, and information all about SharePoint 2010.  All I can say is *WOW*.  I predict the trend of SharePoint adoption to continue to to clim... (more)

SharePoint Server 2010 Initial Installation

I just wanted to drop a quick note about the installation of the SharePoint Server 2010 Beta released yesterday on MSDN. I setup a new virtual machine in my Hyper-V server as a new dedicated 2010 Beta server.  I installed Office 2010 beta and SharePoint Designer 2010 with no issues whatsoever.  SharePoint Server provided to be a little less helpful.  It wouldn't be SharePoint if it didn't make me work for it! I want to drop a quick warning in case you run into the 2 issues I had. 1.  The prerequisite installs kept failing because it was unable to install PowerShell V2.  This boils... (more)

Automatic Creation of InfoPath forms - not as easy as I thought

I recently completed what I estimated to be a small project of taking an existing set of InfoPath forms that represented Content Types and Site Columns for a client's yearly employee review process.  Last year they had to manually create a number of forms for each employee to be filled out and eventually sent to Human Resources.  If each employee has an average of 6 forms (they do peer reviews) and a manager is required to pre-fill each form and manage the permissions of said form for each employee, a significant amount of time is wasted.  I estimated that in about a week or two... (more)